The Ethiopian Diabetes Association was established on January 23,1984 G.C
(1976E.C) for the purpose of providing a forum to diabetes patients so that they can
discuss ways of prevention, the provision of information and treatment for all affected by
diabetes. The initiative came from Ethiopian Medical Association, health care
professionals and people who live with diabetes at the time. It is the first patient-based
association in the country.
The Ethiopian Diabetes Association is registered as a non-governmental organization in accordance with the FDRE Civil Society and Associations Proclamation. Currently, the membership at the association has reached over 32,000 with branches in 60 locations including major cities of the country.
- Provision of diabetes education and awareness to the public including people living with diabetes
- Provision of technical as well as professional advice and support to institutions and stakeholders such as Ministry of Health, government organizations and other public as well as private institutions.
- Work in partnership with government-based medicine and health care administrations and control authorities to effect and deliver quality and standardized diabetes care services.
- Ensuring economic benefits as well as social welfare of people living with diabetes and their families.
- Preparing educational materials on diabetes and other related complications by employing various ways of communication mechanisms such as print, picture, audio, video and web site.
- Establishing a center that provides medical service in relation to Diabetes and other related complications.
- Finding ways to ensure the availability of free medical treatment and medicine to people living with diabetes.
- Encouraging and supporting research, consequently ensuring the proper implementation of services.
- Organizing events such as public gatherings, seminars, workshops, exhibitions, educational sessions, and trainings in line with the mission statement.
- Involving in various income generating and fund raising activities to maximize the association’s effectiveness to sustainably continue its programs.
© 2021 EDA. All Rights Reserved | Design by BECOM IT SOLUTION PLC